Sunday, August 2, 2015

Returning

We have had many upheavals (good and bad... mostly good, though!) in our little family since last I posted, and without a functioning camera to make any photo posts, as you can see there have been no entries here. I am hoping to change that as we move into a new phase of our lives, though, so do drop in again when you can!

Right now I'm in the midst of reading a book called Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind. Perhaps I should hold off making any pronouncements about its value until I have completed it, but for now I will say I am finding myself somewhat disappointed. It has great reviews on Amazon, and -- more importantly -- it has been promoted by some bloggers I like very much. I was very excited about finally getting my hands on a copy and plowing through it. Yet, so far, I can't say I would recommend it. The author, Mr Bunker, is quick to make sweeping pronouncements about what all Christians must do, and more than merely conflicting in many places with Eastern Orthodox theology (of which I am sure he would be proud, actually), much of what he writes would have a great percentage of Christians throughout Christian history condemned. I hesitate about these things. Yes, there is value in the agrarian life, a life in which we can serve no lord -- no boss, no banker, no salesman -- but only God. I believe this deeply. I find myself nodding along with many of his arguments. But to make that extra step and insist that the agrarian life is somehow required of all those who follow Christ... that's a step I cannot take. I wonder what he would say about St Maria Skobtsova who lived in Paris -- and poured herself out for others. (There is no doubt what he thinks about St Constantine!)

Oh, well. I will be finishing this book soon and will save my thoughts for a more thorough review. Since my last review I've also read Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth (a light and easy read that might be good for someone who has never before considered spending less money or building community, but nothing beyond that, I'm afraid), Girl at the End of the World by Elizabeth Esther (interesting but poorly paced... empty and rushed at the end), and When God Spoke Greek: The Septuagint and the Making of the Christian Bible by Timothy Michael Law (which I would highly recommend to all). I may or may not write a more thorough review of them, also.

In any case, until then, enjoy these last burning days of summer (and be blessed as we approach and enter the Dormition Fast if you are Orthodox!).

No comments:

Post a Comment